Buddhist Meditation Centres – UK
- London Insight Meditation offers day retreats, workshops, courses and more.
- Oxford Insight Meditation run day-long retreats.
- Freely Given Retreats offer weeklong and daylong retreats for no charge, instead inviting you to donate what you can
- The Sharpham Trust here in Devon, provides opportunities for meditation, yoga, and shorter retreats.
- Bristol Insight Meditation Group also run day-long retreats and a weekly meditation group.
- Sheffield Insight Meditation Group – retreats run by Gaia House teachers, Sangha Days and fortnightly meditation groups
- The Satipanya Buddhist Trust run retreats in Powys, Wales, in the Mahasi tradition of Theravadan Buddhism.
- Amaravati Buddhist monastery in Hertfordshire follows the Thai Forest tradition of Buddhism.
- Chithurst monastery in West Sussex – a branch monastery of Amaravati.
Buddhist Meditation Centres – Europe
- Moulin de Chaves Meditation Centre in South-West France.
- Solitary Meditation Retreats in Portugal.
- Beatenberg Meditation Centre in Switzerland.
- Nirodha organises a meditation group and insight meditation retreats in Helsinki, Finland.
Buddhist Meditation Centres/Networks – USA and Australia
- Spirit Rock in California, USA.
- Insight Meditation Society based in Massachusets, USA including the Barre Center for Buddhist Studies
- Australian Network for Insight Meditation and Dharma Practice
Buddhist Organisations & Networks
- Bodhi College – an educational centre for meditative learning, providing in-depth courses in the study and practice of Early Buddhism
- Sanghaseva offers opportunities for socially-engaged Buddhism.
- You can find out about the work of Buddhist prison chaplains through the organisation Angulimala.
- The Karuna Institute, on Dartmoor, here in Devon, runs courses in Core Process Psychotherapy – informed by Buddhist teachings – and also runs occasional retreats.
- Find out about Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT).
- Exeter University: Postgraduate training in Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapies and Approaches.
- Buddhanet provides a world-wide directory of Buddhist organisations.
- The very exciting, UK based, Mindfulness in Schools Project.
- Tricycle Magazine is a quarterly magazine about meditation and Buddhism published in the USA.
- Dharma Seed offers free downloadable Dharma talks.
- Paliaudio offers readings from the Pali Suttas (Buddhist scriptures) in English.
- Embodied Facilitator offers courses for business coaches and bodywork professionals.
Media Articles about Meditation or Gaia House:
- A Daily Telegraph newspaper article on Gaia House (Oct 2009)
- A Guardian article on the benefits of meditation (Jan 2010)
- The above article refers to a Mental Health Foundation report published in early Jan 2010
- A further Guardian article in the analytic vein of the ‘Comment is Free’ section (Jan 2010)
- A New York Times article about the aftermath of attending a retreat at the Insight Meditation Society (Aug 2010)
- A review by the ‘Queen of Retreats’ website
Martine Batchelor gives meditation instructions
While reasonable care is taken, Gaia House is not responsible for the content of external websites.