Finance and Development Director
28 hours per week
Salary – £36-38,000 pro rata*
We are currently recruiting for the NEW post of Finance and Development Director to join our friendly staff team.
Gaia House, a registered charity founded in 1983 and based in rural South Devon, is one of the most-highly respected and long-established Insight Meditation retreat centres internationally.
Committed to enhancing health and well-being through meditation, we offer a year-round programme of retreats with meditation instruction and teachings drawn from a variety of Buddhist traditions. We are open to all people regardless of race, ethnicity, nationality, disability, age, sexual identity, gender, gender identity, class or religion.
One of our two Co-Directors will be retiring in September, which has given us the opportunity to review our senior management structure. Keen to build on the success of having two people at Director level, we have created two distinct Director roles to better suit the needs and development of Gaia House. These are the post of Operations Director, which will be held by our current Co-Director Siggi Streat, and the new post of Finance and Development Director.
As our Finance and Development Director you will work closely with the Operations Director to:
• Provide leadership to Gaia House
• Be responsible for the management and administration of the charity within the accountability frameworks established by the Trust
• Ensure that the work of Gaia House achieves the strategic priorities agreed by the Trust
• Lead the review and development of a medium to long-term strategy for Gaia House that is consistent with the our ethos, vision and mission
Key responsibilities of the role include ensuring the overall financial health of the organisation as well as legal/regulatory compliance and high-quality governance. In addition, the post-holder will be expected to take the lead on implementing the Trust’s plans for developing the building over the next three to five years.
You will have direct line-management responsibility for the Finance Manager, the HR & Admin Manager, the Communications Manager and the Maintenance Manager, leading on all aspects of the resourcing of Gaia House’s programme of activities:
• Finance and fundraising
• Buildings maintenance and development
Key skills and experience required:
As our Finance and Development Director you’ll bring a broad set of skills and experience, including:
• Strong analytical skills, with a track record of accurate processing and reporting
• An understanding of voluntary sector governance processes
• Experience of monitoring and evaluating performance against objectives, and initiation of new developments
• Highly-developed communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to facilitate communication between different stakeholder groups
• Strong leadership skills with experience of recruiting, managing and motivating staff
• An understanding of financial management systems
• Project management experience
It is also essential that you have an understanding and appreciation of what Gaia House offers, experience of participation in Buddhist meditation retreats, and that you are committed to a continuing meditation practice.
Due to the centre’s rural location (approximately four miles from the town of Newton Abbot), you will need to have your own personal transport.
If this sounds like it could be the role for you, we encourage you to explore our website to learn more about what Gaia House offers, and visit our Staff Team page to find out why our staff members enjoy working here.
Please use the links below to download the full job description and application form. Further useful information about Gaia House is provided in the background document.
Closing date and interviews:
• The application closing date is 12 noon on Wednesday 8 June 2016.
• Interviews will take place at Gaia House over two days in July. An overnight stay will be required as part of the selection process and accommodation will be provided.
Please send your completed application form to Sarah Abdy, our HR Manager, on ku.oc.esuohaiagnull@nimda
Please feel welcome to contact Sarah for additional information or support, either by email or by telephone – direct line 01626 323881.
*The annual salary for this post will be within the range of £36-38,000. The exact figure will be confirmed by the Gaia House Trust at their quarterly meeting in June.
We regularly have openings for service in our residential coordinator group – please see Becoming a Coordinator for current opportunities.