Essential Booking Information: Please Read before Booking a Retreat.
Retreat Guidelines - Your Commitment
- Please respect the silent atmosphere throughout Gaia House and grounds.
- Please engage in at least four sessions of meditation practice.
- Everyone is asked to contribute one hour of work per day & clean their own rooms on the day of departure.
- We encourage sensitivity towards all living beings and a non-harming relationship to all life.
- A retreatant takes only that which is clearly given.
- No smoking, alcohol or recreational drugs is permitted in any area of Gaia House, including the garden and grounds.
- Retreatants are asked to abstain from all sexual contact during their retreat.
- The silence and retreat conditions also apply when staying Extra Retreat Nights.
- Continuity and steadiness are essential factors in the deepening of meditation. Retreatants are asked to participate for the full retreat and shorten a retreat only after discussion with your Teacher.
- Retreatants are requested to commit themselves fully to Gaia House and to stay within the immediate vicinity of the House and grounds, except in an emergency. Walking in the nearby countryside is fine.
- If you need to leave your retreat for any unexpected or urgent reason, please discuss this with your Teacher and inform a Coordinator.
Retreats FAQ: Please read through the Frequently Asked Questions about the practical side of coming on retreat at Gaia House. About Group Retreat meditation practice.
Many questions are answered on this website – but if you have any other queries, please contact us, and we will be happy to help.
Deposits and Payments
- All retreats must be paid for in full at least one month prior to the start of the retreat.
- Retreats of 3 nights or less must be paid for in full at the time of booking.
- Retreats of 4 nights or more require a £70 deposit to secure your place. The balance must be paid at least one month before the retreat start date.
- Personal Retreats: Please pay only after receiving confirmation of your place and dates.
- Work Retreats must be paid for in full once you have confirmation of your place and dates.
- Please pay by debit card if possible – Gaia House incurs substantial bank charges when payments are made by credit card.
- If you need financial assistance from the Retreat Support Fund please request this when booking. It is not possible to apply for Financial Support on the opening day of a retreat.
- No bookings can be made on-line for anyone under the age of 16: please contact reception for further information.
- Booking Conditions may be subject to alteration.
Please pay in full at least one month before the retreat begins, or your place may be cancelled and offered to someone on the waiting list. Thank you.
Cancellation Fees and Refunds Cancellation Fees and Refunds:
All bookings are provisional until confirmed by Gaia House admin. Gaia House cannot be held liable for travel costs.
Cancellation Fees and Refunds:
- Once your booking has been confirmed, please make changes only if absolutely necessary. If you change dates an administration fee may be applied at our discretion.
- Transferring bookings, payments or deposits from one retreat to another is not possible due to administrative complications. If you wish to change a retreat booking, you need to cancel the old one and rebook the new one. Normal cancellation fees apply.
- Vegan, Non-Dairy and wheat/gluten-free options are available – please request when you register on arrival.
- A Simple Diet of a grain, steamed vegetables and plain pulses or tofu can be provided at lunch time. The Simple Diet is intended to meet the nutritional needs of retreatants whilst being as plain as possible. If you would prefer this option, please request the Simple Diet when you register on arrival.
- Gaia House is not able to cater for any other individual dietary needs or preferences.
- Gaia House is not able to do shopping trips for retreatants for personal preferences of food.
- Gaia House is not able to do shopping trips for retreatants for personal preferences of food.
- Food Allergy/Sensitivity: Whilst cooks endeavour to label any potential `problem’ ingredients, we cannot guarantee to do so. Retreatants with a severe allergy should have the Simple Diet at lunch. We cannot label the ingredients of soups or left-overs at tea-time.
- We are not able to store meat or fish on the premises.
- If there is a medical necessity, it may be possible for you to bring your own personal supplies, at the discretion of the Kitchen Co-ordinators.
- If you have any questions about the food served at Gaia House please contact Reception before you book.
- We ask that you help support Gaia House during your stay by offering one hour’s work per day, helping with the running of the house.
- All retreatants are also asked to clean their own rooms on the day of departure.
- If you are unable to do a work session, or can offer only light work, please let Reception know when booking and mention when you register on arrival.
- Gaia House offers simple shared accommodation. Rooms are for two or three, single-sex, usually with people of similar age. Younger retreatants may be in a dormitory of up to six people.
- Single Rooms: We have a very limited number of single rooms and these are allocated according to individual needs. Medical needs are given priority, followed by consideration of age. If you need a single room, please request this at the time of booking.
- Please note: We are unable to meet requests for single rooms made on arrival.
- We regret we are unable to guarantee single rooms for Group Retreats.
- We welcome people with disabilities. If you have any mobility or special needs please phone Reception before booking your retreat – our reception team will be happy to give you information about the house and discuss your needs.
- Gaia House is a rambling old house, with the ground floor of the house accessible for people in wheelchairs and those with restricted mobility.
- It may be possible for a carer to stay free of charge to support a retreatant who needs personal care.
- We have a Hearing Loop Facility in the Meditation Hall which is compatible with hearing aids.
- Please contact: ku.oc.esuohaiagnull@ofni or 01626 333613 for more information.
- If you are applying for a place on a Personal or Work Retreat (only), please submit a Retreat Application Form (RAF).
- These forms are not kept on file, so please submit a separate RAF for each Personal or Work Retreat you apply for.
- Please let us know immediately of any changes to the information submitted on your Application Form.
- If there are changes to the information on your Retreat Application Form your application may need to be re-submitted to a teacher for re-approval. For more information please phone reception.
- Please sign on arrival to confirm that the information on your approved RAF is a true reflection of your current situation.
- Personal and Work Retreats are undertaken and continued subject to approval by a Gaia House teacher.
- We cannot accept applications for retreats more than a year in advance.
How to Book Online; by Phone or by Post
How to Book Online: Group Retreats:
- To book on-line and for detailed information, click on the retreat title in the Group Retreat Programme.
- At the bottom of the page, choose the options you require from the drop down menu, wait a moment for the price to update, then click “Add to Basket”.
- Enter your details and click “Submit Payment”.
- After we have received your booking and payment we will send you a confirmation email. Please do not make any travel arrangements until you have received confirmation.
Retreat Rates: There are 3 rates available when you book on-line:
- Standard Rate: This covers the basic cost of your stay – Please pay this rate if possible.
- Supported Rate: Available to anyone who feels that they cannot afford the Standard Rate.
- Sponsor Rate: A benefactor rate, which helps others to come here on the Supported Rate. (Please note that the Sponsor Rate includes a non-refundable donation)
If you need more financial help to come on retreat, please book by phone.
- Arriving Early – You can opt to arrive a day early only if you have previously stayed on a retreat of 5 nights or more at Gaia House, or other similar silent retreat.
- Staying On – You can opt to stay one Extra Night after your Retreat when you book.
- To stay for 2 or more consecutive Extra Retreat Nights, please apply as a Personal Retreatant.
- Extra Retreat Nights are subject to the availability of accommodation.
- When staying Extra Retreat Nights, please observe the silence and retreat conditions.
Booking for more than one person or more than one retreat:
- Adding two people into the same booking form – or attempting to pay for more than one retreat on the same booking form – causes problems for our system and the booking may fail.
- Each retreat or each person’s details must be entered on a separate booking form- we can then register each person’s details – age, gender, dietary and room preferences – individually.
- If you are booking on-line for more than one retreat or for more than one person, please make entirely separate bookings.
Booking a Personal Retreat:
- Please complete a Personal Retreat Application Form. You will be asked to pay only after receiving confirmation of your place and dates.
Booking a Work Retreat:
- Please complete a Work Retreat Application Form. Please do not pay until you have received confirmation of your place and dates.
- Please phone us on 01626 333613 and have your credit/debit card details available.
- We accept full payment and deposits for all Retreats from Solo/Maestro/Visa Debit cards.
- MasterCard/Visa Credit Cards: We can accept full payment for all Retreats and deposits for Personal Retreats (but not deposits for Group Retreats).
- Please pay by debit card where possible – as Gaia House incurs substantial bank charges when payments are made by credit card.
- Telephone: 9.30-11.30am Monday-Saturday. If the line is busy, please leave a message and we will return your call as soon as possible (within 24 hours).
- Please include a cheque for the full cost of your retreat, your full name and address, your age and gender and any medical condition that may affect your stay – so that we can allocate rooms appropriately. (Also your telephone number and email address, if you use them.)
- Please send postal bookings and enquiries to: Reception, Gaia House, West Ogwell, Newton Abbot, Devon, TQ12 6EW, England. Please Note: All bookings are provisional until confirmed by Gaia House.
- Cheques should be made payable to ‘Gaia House Trust’ in British Pounds Sterling only (£/GBP).
- Please write the retreat code on the top edge of the cheque. (The retreat code (numbers) can be found next to the retreat name in the Group Retreat Programme).
How to Book from Overseas:
- If you are booking from abroad, please use a credit card with the amount in British Pounds Sterling (£/GBP).
- If you live outside the UK and do not have a credit card, a Direct Bank Transfer may be possible, however, banking fees can be extremely high, even more than your original payment. Before you book, please contact our Finance Team on ku.oc.esuohaiagnull@ecnanif.
- Unfortunately we cannot accept foreign bank notes.
- We are unable to take fax bookings.
Terms & Conditions: PDF Version (To save: Right Click & Save Link/Target As…)