Thursday 2nd November 2017 – Thursday 30th November 2017
This retreat is a rare and precious opportunity to engage in an extended period of individual meditation without interruption. Regular teacher interviews and Dharma talks are offered, and guidance is available in Insight Meditation (Vipassana), tranquillity (Samatha) meditation, Loving-kindness (Metta) and the other Brahma Viharas.
Each participant has a single room, and is offered the possibility to be in solitude or to sit with a small community retreating at Gaia House during this time.
- It is possible to stay for either two weeks or four weeks only.
- Start dates for two-week stays are Thursday 2nd or Thursday 16th November.
- To preserve the silence and stillness of the retreat house at this time and to support the deepening of practice, we do not permit arrivals or departures outside of these dates.
Previous experience of at least two week-long teacher-led silent meditation retreats and a Personal Retreat Application Form is required in order to be able to attend this retreat. If you have less than three weeks previous retreat experience, you are strongly encouraged to begin your retreat at the start of the month.
Christina Feldman, Yanai Postelnik, Kirsten Kratz and Suvaco are confirmed teachers for this retreat. Rob Burbea will join the teaching team if he is able to, depending on his health and circumstances.
CHRISTINA FELDMAN is a co-founder of Gaia House. She has been leading Insight Meditation retreats worldwide since 1976. She is a Guiding Teacher of the Insight Meditation Society in Barre, Massachusetts. She is the author of a number of books including Woman Awake, Way of Meditation, and co-author of Soul Food. Recent books include Silence and The Buddhist Path to Simplicity.
Listen to one of Christina Feldman's Talks given at Gaia House on 24.09.2013: Swimming Against the Tide (Duration 61:35)
YANAI POSTELNIK has practiced and studied Insight Meditation and Buddhism since 1990 and has been teaching internationally for over 20 years. He is much inspired by the Thai forest tradition and the transformative power of the natural world. Yanai is a Core Faculty member of Insight Meditation Society, Massachusetts, and he lives with his wife Catherine McGee in Devon, England.
Listen to one of Yanai Postelnik's Talks given at Gaia House on 02.09.2013: The Art of Unknowing (Duration 61:05)
ROB BURBEA has been practising and studying the Dharma since 1985. He has been teaching since 2004. He is a co-founder of SanghaSeva, an organisation dedicated to exploring the Dharma through service work internationally, and also a co-initiator of DANCE (Dharma Action Network for Climate Engagement). He is the author of Seeing That Frees: Meditations on Emptiness and Dependent Arising.
Listen to one of Rob Burbea's Talks at Gaia House on 31.12.2011: This Matter of Emptiness (Duration 50:33)
KIRSTEN KRATZ has practised Buddhist meditation in Asia and the West since 1993. She started teaching in 2006. One of her particular passions is exploring how wisdom teachings can foster appropriate responses to the challenges of our time; she supports those on personal retreat in Gaia House, is co-initiator of the Dharma Action Network for Climate Engagement: DANCE and teaches retreats with SanghaSeva combining Dharma practice and Service.
Listen to one of Kirsten Kratz's Talks given at Gaia House on 23.03.2013: Calm and Kindness (Duration 38:57)
SUVACO is a former Buddhist monk and a passionate advocate for embodying life in all of its forms. He lives in the South West UK where he works as a psychotherapist and Tai Qi teacher.
Listen to one of Suvaco's Talks at Gaia House on 15.06.2015: Evening Talk from Touching the Earth Retreat (Duration 47:09)
Retreat Codes = 17163 (full month) / 17164 (first half only) / 17165 (second half only)C = special criteria, please read the retreat description carefully E = experienced
It is possible to stay for either 2 weeks or 4 weeks only as follows:
- Thursday 2 November – Thursday 30 November 2017 (4 weeks)
- Thursday 2 November – Thursday 16 November 2017 (2 weeks)
- Thursday 16 November – Thursday 30 November 2017 (2 weeks)
To preserve the silence and stillness of the retreat house and support the deepening of practice, there will be no arrivals or departures outside of these dates.
- Standard Rate – £644 (2 weeks) or £1,204 (4 weeks) – We ask you to pay this rate if you can.
- Supported Rate – £547 (2 weeks) or £1,023 (4 weeks) – Available to those who cannot afford the Standard Rate.
- Sponsor Rate – £773 (2 weeks) or £1,445 (4 weeks) – A benefactor rate, which helps others to come here on the Supported Rate.
- Young Persons’ Rate – £193 (2 weeks) or £361 (4 weeks) – Limited places available at this special rate, just for young people aged between 16 – 25 years old.
This retreat is now full.
To apply for a waiting list place please submit a Personal Retreat application form.